Wednesday, February 18, 2009

1986

I graduated from high school in 1986. It was the era of hair bands, tight rolled jeans, no socks, Converse high tops of every color, and letting out your best Rebel Yell. I left the life that I knew in downtown Dallas, and started college in a small east Texas town where tight Wrangler jeans and roper boots were all the rage. So when I showed up my first day with my punkish/rocker big city duds on and walked into that world, I felt just a wee bit out of place.

I'm not exactly sure why, but when I left high school, Dallas, and the life I knew there, I didn't stay in touch with anyone. I left. It's not that I didn't have any friends, because I did. But maybe I just felt like it would be an easier adjustment to go off to a new school if I didn't think about the people I was leaving behind. I found myself doing the same thing again when I left college and started my career.

Now fast forward to 2009. For the first time in more than 20 years, I'm starting to catch up with all of those people that I left behind in high school, college, and in my moves throughout my career. I am simply amazed at the lives that we all represent - the stories that we have to share. I'm humbled that I know such an amazing group of people.

I remember back to the drama of school days when a zit appearing at an inopportune time was such a tragedy. When we were ready to fight to the death if the girl of our dreams dared to talk to THAT guy. If a grade came back on an assignment that put our whole college career in jeopardy. I don't know about you, but I would love for those to be my biggest problems now.

In my conversations with my classmates and friends, I've learned of death that has hit families hard. Severe illnesses that some are fighting daily. The struggle of having your own kids growing up and not listening or caring what you think any longer. Trying to pay the bills and keep your home. A spouse that is rarely home because they think they just have to work all the time, leaving their wife/husband lonely at home. Some are doing great things in other parts of the world through their careers, mission trips, and humanitarian aid. Some have become very successful in their businesses and are well respected in many circles.

I'm also intrigued to see the directions that people have chosen. If I had to guess, few would have picked me to have been a minister for close to 20 years. Some that I thought would always be fence riders when it came to their faith are now the most excited about it. And others who used to wear the label of "Super Christian" have been battered and bruised in their faith and rarely attend church anymore. Some of the bullies are now the most compassionate. The list goes on and on.

What a journey we have been on! From those high school days to our lives now scattered around, not only the country, but around the world. We have so many stories that we have shared already, but so many more that we're still keeping hidden away for a bit longer.

I'm honored to know each and every person that I have reconnected with in the past few weeks. My apologies for letting so many years go by and losing touch with them. The bright side is that we all are open to seeing each other as we are now, and not confining each other to what we used to be. I've changed, not all for the good, but I'm just not the same guy that I was back then. But neither are my friends from 1986. I'm anxious to see what we will be 20 years from now, but this time I don't plan on losing touch.

3 comments:

  1. Good post Doug. It is amazing how social networking sites have helped us all to reconnect. I keep finding new people and going "oh yeah, I remember that person." And you are right, I love the way everyone just seems to accept who we have all become. It is nice to be part of such a fantastic group. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and so eloquent! It is so good to catch up with people from your past and to reconnect! Glad you found me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, I enjoyed reading your post. You're an excellent writer! I'm thankful for your friendship - in the '70s, '80s and now. :)
    Your FBA friend, Jocey

    ReplyDelete